Rimmer’s Academic Support Services seeks tutors for general education courses such as English, speech, math, history, computing, psychology, sociology, business, accounting, economics, fine arts, biology, chemistry, physics, physical science, anatomy & physiology, and other subjects as needed.
- Strong “people” skills (get along well with others, positive attitude about self and others, ability to interact well with and accept individuals from diverse backgrounds, etc.);
- Sensitive to student needs, especially students with academic needs and/or learning disabilities;
- Ability to communicate effectively with students, faculty, administrators, and other HCC personnel;
- Strong academic background: minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA, with an A or B in the subject area to tutor;
- Ability to keep information confidential;
- Work well with limited direct supervision;
- Dependable and able to work flexible hours as determined by staff and student needs;
- Willing to encourage other students to use program services;
- Recommendations are required; faculty recommendations are recommended.
- Preferably currently enrolled and attending classes at Hutchinson Community College (pre-enrolled for fall or spring classes);
Duties and Expectations:
- Attend tutor training, complete online tutor training, and meet as-needed with the tutor supervisor.
- Provide one-on-one and/or group tutoring in subject areas in various locations on campus and potentially online;
- Keep accurate records of students tutored;
- Keep accurate time clock records and keep availability and contact information updated;
- As requested, create or maintain handouts or a record of suggestions given to student(s);
- Communicate with tutor supervisor, instructors, and/or counselors on a regular basis regarding progress;
- At the end of each semester, evaluate self and have students evaluate your tutoring services;
- Make referrals to counseling and other services, as needed.
Compensation: Tutors are paid $10.00 per hour as a starting wage and will increase to $12.00 when the online tutor training modules have been completed. Students will receive a Master Tutor Level 1 certificate after completing 10 hours of training and 25 hours of tutoring experience.