The Radio Kansas Station Engineer reports to and assists the Director of Engineering to manage the electronic and computer aspects of the stations toward a goal of uninterrupted, high quality 24/7 broadcasting. Furthermore, this position will assist in maintaining the Radio Kansas office and computer network. The Radio Kansas system includes three full power FM stations with associated towers, ranging from 800’ to 1,300’ as well as two microwave towers. These sites are up to 100 miles from Hutchinson, where studios and offices are located.
- Install, maintain and troubleshoot studio, RF and computer equipment and systems. In-field problem diagnosis and box-level repair of this equipment. There is some circuit-board or component-level repair but modern electronics do not typically require this.
- Travel to and maintenance of remote facilities as far as one hundred miles away, on a regular basis. (A station vehicle is dedicated to the engineering department. On some rare occasions a personal vehicle will be required, and mileage will be paid.)
- Be on-call for emergency work alternating weekend/evening/holiday and during absences of Director of Engineering.
- Troubleshooting and replacing any of the station computers internal hardware, loading/configuring operating systems, setting up network connections, loading/configuring software, connecting printers and other ancillary hardware.
- Perform non-broadcast maintenance duties, especially at remote locations: basic generator servicing, weed spraying, light building maintenance, supervision of electricians, HVAC, and tower workers, and other items as needed.
- Specific training in:
- Analog and digital audio theory
- Control system theory
- Analog RF theory including transmitters, microwave equipment, transmission lines and antennas
- Digital logic and circuitry
- Test equipment operation
- AC Power circuit theory
- Computer hardware and operating systems
- Basic networking
- Direct experience in:
- Analog and digital audio installation, troubleshooting and repair
- FM transmitter adjustment, maintenance, troubleshooting and repair
- Microwave system installation and troubleshooting
- Basic electrical power circuits
- Control circuits including logic circuit design employing both relay logic and digital logic.
- Operating test equipment including basic measurement devices, VOMs, oscilloscopes, RF signal generators, frequency counters, and analog/AES signal generators/testers
- Custom fabrication including: electronic design, mechanical design, bread-boarding, debugging, circuit construction, light chassis fabrication and documentation; all to high quality standards
- Basic computer servicing
- Basic computer network setup and troubleshooting including interconnecting switches, Ethernet cabling, and configuring computers for IP connectivity.
- HD radio experience would be helpful.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel and Access.
- Minimum of an AA degree in Electronics and/or 5 years of broadcast engineering experience
- Physical requirements: Ability to lift 70 lbs; day and night driving to transmitters 100 miles distant; and occasional overnight hours. Excellent verbal, written and listening skills; exhibit manual dexterity to enter data into a computer, and to operate additional office equipment; see and read a computer screen and printed material with or without vision aids; hear and understand speech at normal levels and on the telephone; speak in audible tones so that others may understand clearly in person and on the telephone; use appropriate judgment and to apply tact and courtesy in difficult situations; ability to understand words and respond effectively and appropriately; attentive to detail, accurately follow written and verbal instructions, work independently; Moderate to heavy, Outdoor/indoor work environment
- Valid Kansas driver’s license and clean driving record.
- Mental requirements include the ability to learn and comprehend basic instructions about the position.
- Physical and mental qualifications must be performed with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- The qualifications listed are guidelines for selection purposes; alternative qualifications may be substituted if sufficient to perform the duties.
SALARY and STATUS:
The salary is commensurate with qualifications as determined by the HutchCC administration. This full-time administrative staff position is 12 months annual, benefit eligible, at-will, and exempt.
QUESTIONS ABOUT JOB SPECIFICS:
Contact Doug Kaufman, Director of Engineering, 620-662-6646